Sunday, May 10, 2015

Gardens, Birds and Squirrels

The grass is lush and green, flowers are blooming, the temperature is perfect - I do love the spring in the Midwest!  I have observed that the landscapers, who do the apartment complex, do not cut the grass short so it looks very lush and even moves in the wind. It is cut and trimmed every week. I noticed this week that the roses are starting to bloom and of course all the other spring flowers have either already bloomed or are just starting. Here is a picture of cuttings from Bill & Vida's peony plant last week.  The blooms are the size of large grapefruits. Nope...I do not miss the desert except for friends....

I've been working on getting some color on my front entry and patio. The entry (below) is about done. I am going for "easy care" stuff this year in both places. Some of it I am leaving in it's pot from the nursery and just setting it down in a container.  That way I can easily replace it if it doesn't like me. One of my new ventures this year is doing a Fairy Garden - or miniature garden. I had never heard of them until last summer and think they are neat. Plus it's something I can set down and work on since I'm putting it into a container that will set on a table on the patio. Stay tuned.....


The Great-Tailed Crackle birds have found my bird/squirrel feeders and are driving me crazy.  I can't believe how much they eat, they spill the seed from the feeders and are just a plain nuisance!  I guess I can't have Blue Jays, Cardinals and squirrels without having these ornery things and doves who are almost as bad. I can put out 5 lbs of seed and in a few hours it is gone!  What really ticks me off is they get into the feed for the squirrels that is on the patio, pick the seeds out and leave them on the ground mixed in with the hulls that the squirrels leave. So if I sweep it up and toss it, I am also tossing a lot of good food. Not sure there is an answer to the delimma but will talk to the guy at the bird feed store this week when I replenish my supply...  Anyway....I caught one of the squirrels stretched out and resting on the patio railing yesterday...


I am discovering that it doesn't take much to amuse retired people.....

No comments: