Saturday, May 14, 2016

Koala Flats and other zoo items

Yes it was pretty cool this morning - 45 degrees when I got up but it was sunny. So I headed out to the zoo after stopping by the Farmer's Market for some more strawberries that were picked yesterday and some bread that was baked last night. I have learned to be at the zoo when it opens and I head straight to an exhibit I really want to see. Most people go through the gate and then meander towards nothing in particular. Even when I go to a zoo in another town, I print out the map ahead of time and know which exhibits I want to see. I know... 8-)

Koala Flats:  Burra and Coedie, are brothers who were born at the San Diego Zoo in Aug 2013. They are being rented out to the KC Zoo for 8 months and will then return San Diego. The 2 flew here on Southwest Airlines accompanied by their San Diego handler while sharing a row of seats.

 Meet Burra. I think they are absolutely adorable! 

Koalas ONLY eat eucalyptus leaves. So....since eucalyptus trees don't grow in the Midwest, the zoo gets 2 shipment a week from San Diego, via Southwest Airlines, of eucalyptus branches. The branches are cut and stuck in 6-8 containers around the enclosure - mostly by their "trees".  According to the zoo docent, the absence of local eucalyptus trees is why we won't ever have a permanent exhibit of koalas at the KC Zoo. 

 Eucalyptus is very low in energy and can be very toxic to most other animals. Koalas rest about 20 hours per day when they are detoxifying the poison in eucalyptus. These guys woke up twice int he 30 minutes I was watching them. Once when the keeper sprayed some disinfectant on the floor prior to washing down the floor and the second time was when she prodded them awake. After a few minutes they went back to sleep. 

One advantage of having a zoo membership, is that I can come as often as I want. I go, see what I want to see that time knowing I will be back again and again and again.....

This "baby" orangutan is 7 years old and usually has his security blanket - a burlap sack. Part of the time he had it completely over his head. 

The little guy and his mommy. Orangutans stay with their mother until they are about 8 years old. Then they will breed the mother again when she has kicked the baby out on his own. 

I am fascinated by jelly fish - they are so graceful in their movements! The little "tails" only come out when they move. 

And of course, I had to get a few flower pictures in while I was there.

I'm not sure what this is but it was bright and colorful.....

And just a plain Shasta daisy with a bug having lunch. 

Even though it was cool, it was a beautiful day and the place was packed when I left at noon.

No comments: