Thursday, November 13, 2014

Home Depot, Hackers and other stuff

Home Depot:  Remember the issue when they got hacked and files stolen a few months ago?  I got a letter from my credit card saying my card was in the bunch stolen and they were issuing me a new card.  Well that was great but then I had to go online and change the credit card number with everyone from utility companies to Vera Bradley. The new card had the new fangled security chip in it but I have only found 2 stores who have credit card machines that are new enough to use the security chip.. Then I get a letter from Home Depot saying my email address was in a bunch that was hacked!  Now I am getting emails from Ghanda wanting me to help free someone from prison, American Express saying my account was frozen and to "verity" information to unlock the account and the list goes on and on.  I get 5-10 of these a day. Bells went off in my head when I got the American Express email so I called them and sure enough it was not legitimate. I could change my email address but I have had the same one for over 25 years and do not want to change it so will just keep deleting emails for now. At least they didn't make any charges to my old card....

Larry's Mother:  I got a call from Georgia, Larry's sister, yesterday letting me know that their mother had passed away. Barbara was 93,  had severe dementia  and other problems so she is at peace. It's tough on Georgia since she is the only remaining child and the McClelland name stops with her on her Grandfather's line. I'm going to go visit Georgia & Cass in the spring and go with her to take her mother's ashes down to Cambria, CA for burial in the O'Neil family plot of the little cemetery there. Larry and I visited that cemetery a few years ago and it is a really neat place - small, surrounded by woods, up on a big hill with an abundance of wildlife roaming the grounds.

Weather: I know I wanted 4 seasons but this is ridiculous!  It isn't even Thanksgiving yet and the wind chill this morning was 3 degrees with snow forecast for Saturday.  The 10 day forecast doesn't have any days above 40.  The wind is brutal.  Otherwise, it isn't too bad if you are in the sun - it's cold but with scarf, gloves, etc I am o.k. With all the wind, I certainly appreciate the time you ladies in Tucson took to check out the chime sound on wind chimes. 8-)  Sometimes the sound just goes on and on with the wind.  I woke up in the night last night and could hear the wind chimes.

Visitor: There has been a gray squirrel in the yard ever since I moved in here.  He usually came through in the morning while I was having breakfast and I would watch Morris watching the squirrel. A few weeks ago the squirrel was in the yard and came up on the patio. So.....I decided to feed him. I go and get a squirrel feeder, hang it in the yard and waited but never saw him in the feeder and the food level was the same. So....after seeing him on the patio again, I put some food just off the patio in the grass and he ate it.  Then I put some in a dish on the patio and here he is having lunch.
This week is the first time I have seen 2 of them at the same time in the yard.  So I put food out and it disappears but I don't know when they are getting it. Yesterday I changed the seed in the hanging feeder to bird seed and will feed the squirrel on the patio. Easy entertainment.... 8-)

No comments: