Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday Misc for Nov 17th

Weather Update:  Yep, it's COLD!  The good news is that we didn't get any snow over the weekend which surprised me since the weather forecasters here are usually spot on when forecasting weather. However I'm glad they were wrong and we didn't get snow. I'm pretty comfortable driving on snow myself but worry about the other people on the road.  The high today is supposed to be 19 and down to 7 tonight (chill index will be below 0) which will break the record for the coldest day on this date since 1903. The day highs are usually in the 50's this time of year... At least later in the week we should get above freezing...  The 70's in San Diego next week are looking pretty good to me....

Gas Price:  I filled up yesterday with $2.59 gas at a Quick Trip and was really surprised to see gas prices the lowest I can remember in years. Gas is always highest in Calif so it will be interesting to see what we pay there next week.

Years of a big birthdays:  I met a lady in last week's photography class who turned 50 this year.  She was talking about how she decided to do something fun every month during the year.  It has ranged from a trip to Mexico to doing a zip line in Missouri.  Some of the things are just things in the KC area that she has never done even though she has lived here for years.  She wanted some info on doing a book of the year using pictures she has taken during the year.  I kinda like that idea and am thinking I should do something like that for 2015 when I turn 50...

Dec edition of the Quarterly:  I finished the Dec edition of the Quarterly magazine that the Johnson County Genealogy Society publishes.  It is 32 pages long and was quite a chore but I had fun doing it.  After I get it done, I email it to 3 people who do the proofing and catch all my grammar and punctuation mistakes.  I warned the board before I agreed to do it that I was better at putting it together than I was at proofing. Now my impatience sets in when I have to wait on others....  I want to get it to the printers on Thursday.  One of the members did a great article about the "First Olathe Soldier Killed in WW I". Olathe is a neighboring suburb.  She found in old newspapers a letter he wrote to his mother from France a few months before he was killed, a copy of the telegram notifying his parents of his death, a lengthy obit, a poem his parents wrote on the 1 year anniversary of his death and info from the local American Legion what is named after him. She also found an item where he was buried in the Olathe cemetery 5 years later.  In WW I, the bodies of soldiers where were killed were not immediately returned for burial.  They were buried in France or wherever and then some were returned after the war and some remained buried overseas.  She really did a great job an it was so interesting.

No comments: