Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Just checking in....

It is hard to do a frequent blog when there is nothing out of the ordinary going on which was the way it was for a couple of weeks. Eat. Sleep, Work on my presentations for the classes I'm teaching. That was my days...... Then I finally did something different so have something to write about.

Trip to Topeka: Last Friday afternoon and all day Saturday was the annual Topeka Genealogy Conference.  I drove over on Friday morning and came back Saturday after it was over. The conference was great and the speaker was wonderful. She will be the speaker at our conference in October. I looked over the things to do in Topeka for something to do in the morning after I got there but before I had to be at the conference at 12:30. I decided to visit the Ted Easley Gardens located at Lake Shawnee which is on the southeast side of Topeka. Unexpectedly, their tulip gardens were in bloom and they were beautiful! The lake makes a great backdrop for the gardens.

This garden was a favorite of mine. I don't know that I have ever seen this particular kind before. 

One of the tulip beds near the lake. 

I always think of my dad when I see a dogwood tree because he loved them - especially the pink dogwoods.

Crime in Deer Creek - where I live: Last week the apartment complex hosted a meeting with a local community policeman who talked about crime in Deer Creek, safety, etc. Very interesting!  First of all there were 2 incidents in 2015. One was a fight between a husband and wife and the other one was a theft in a garage where the doors were left over. Apparently the guy used to share the apartment and knew what was in the garage. Deer Creek is considered "very boring" as far as the police are concerned which made me feel good about living here. I asked about safety on the trail and walking after sundown. The only complaints they have on the trail in the last year or so was when a woman called them and demanded that they come and remove the wild coyote who was scaring her little dog..... The police told her the coyote was here first. Also no problems after dark.

Shingles: They just won't go away.... It has been 6 weeks since they moved in. I am down to one place on my arm that periodically feels like it has been hit with a hot iron. There is still some breakout on my back where it initially started but that is getting better. At least I am able to sleep again at night.

Class: One class done and 4 more to go in the next couple of  months. Last week's class was "Website or Blog - Which one is right for me? " The class was well received and I felt good about it. Now I'm working on the next one which I do on May 9th. The May class is on "Comparing Genealogy Software Programs." I feel like I'm back at work with juggling so many things right now. But....I do like to keep busy.....

No comments: