Thursday, September 20, 2012
I don't get it....
All I want to do is enroll in our local community college, take some classes and eventually get my Associates degree in Accounting. But they don't make it easy... Before I can even enroll, I must take assessment/placement tests in Reading, Writing and Math. I must score at a certain level or I will have to take remedial classes before I can take "real classes". What is so stupid is that all 42 of my credits from the community college in Denver that I attended in 1975-76 have been accepted with a 3.44 GPA. I only need 8 more credit hours to get my degree. But no.... all that doesn't prove that I can read, write and do math. They have accepted every one of my accounting credits even though that was back when we did accounting by hand on paper and not on the computer. So today I went out and took the assessment/placement tests. I did very good on writing and squeaked by with enough math for accounting. Let's face it, I haven't used much algebra or mixed fractions since I took them in high school which was 50 years ago. But....I missed the reading by 4 points! Seems that what I though the author of a paragraph was trying to say wasn't the point that HE intented to make. Bottom line, I won't have to take "remedial reading" for the few classes that I still need. However, I can take the reading test again and see if I can bring my score up so it won't be a mark on my record. Even though I don't need any more accounting classes, I am going to take many of them again. A lot has changed in accounting over the last 36 years including doing away with paper & pencil spread sheets. But it's nice to know I don't have to take them again if I don't want to. Human Resources is a class that I do have to take and that should be really interesting. Many of the instructors have never been in the "real world" so only know the way it is supposed to be which is not the same thing. I'm looking forward to starting classes in January. It will give me something to do, challenge my brain and get me out of the house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment