Castor Reunion: Vida, my sister-in-law, and her 1 brother and 2 sisters were the stars of the Castor
reunion (her maiden name) on Saturday in Avilla, MO which down in the southwest part of the state. There was 75+ people there that were descended from their parents. One son has already passed away. The planning for this event started around the first of the year. Since then, her brother was diagnosed with late stage cancer and is undergoing treatment but he made it to the reunion.
Of course I knew very few of the people there but I'm getting used to these events where I know maybe 20% of the people in attendance. I felt better when I hear others say the same thing....
Appointment with Heart Doctor: I had an annual checkup with my heart doctor today. As he said, "Yes, I have a high risk but we know that, we treat it with meds, I eat right (well part of the time) but I need to exercise more." My cholesterol and triglycerides are still in the 150-175 range and they would like them lower. They used to be in the 120's when I was taking Trilipix but I can't take that anymore due to the liver issues. Instead of increasing the Crestor dosage, they are going to add Zetia to my mix. Crestor prevents the liver from making as much cholesterol and the Zetia prevents the body from absorbing as much of what it does make. We shall see... I love it when the docs take the time to explain stuff! He drew me little pictures of plaque in the arteries and what happens when it "erupts" (his term) and blocks the artery causing a heart attack. My blockage is under 70%. He said that many people have much higher blockage and never have a problem where they see people all the time with only 30% or less having a heart attack. Besides my primary cardiologist, who is one of the top cardiologist in the KU heart department, I also saw a doc who is a cardiologist but also has a Phd in cardiovascular disease. They also looked at my chart before coming in to the exam room and wanted to know if I had gotten all settled in after moving from Tucson, had I been back for a visit yet, is it as brown as it looks from the air, etc. That kind of stuff just blows me away with the KU Med system! You are truly a person - not just a number.

No comments:
Post a Comment