Monday, June 29, 2015

Misc Misc for June 30th

I realized I missed writing a post last week!  I wish I had a really good excuse but actually I just forgot....

Fireflies: When I was a kid, we called them lightening bugs. I can remember catching them on summer nights, putting them in a jar that we had punched holes in the list for air and watching them light up.  Anyway, a couple of night ago I went for a walk about sundown so it was getting a little dark along the trail. I couldn't believe how many fireflies there were on the trail! I see one or two in my yard but nothing like there was along the trail - maybe due to the trees, creek, etc. Memories.....

My new toy:  I kept hearing so much about people wearing their FitBit at Weight Watchers and how great they are for tracking activity so I decided to try one after the latest lecture from my cardiologist. Here is what it looks like.
It syncs with my cell phone so I can look on my phone and see how many steps I have taken in a day, how many miles, how many minutes of activity, how many calories I used and how restless I was during the night!  The first day I wore it, the little guy inside informed me that I had walked 769 steps. I knew that would REALLY make my doctor unhappy.... The medical profession says you should walk 10,000 steps a day for good health - about 5 miles. It counts every step during the day - whether just in the house, in a mall or on a trail.  I knew I wasn't going to go from 769 steps to 10,000 very quickly so set my goal for 5,000 and the 3rd day I hit it. It is a reminder to me that if I want to do the things I want to do then I gotta move it.   I am walking more with the little guy reminding me that I can hit 5,000 with just another trip around the block......  An interesting thing is to look at the sleep chart that shows when I am restless in my sleep, when I get up, etc. And yes, my backs hurts more but I'm trying to keep it up - my knees do feel better though.
 
New Store in Town: I have watched a really big, tall building being build in the shopping center near me for the last year. On Saturday the Scheels Sporting Goods Store (employee owned) opened in the space. I held off going until yesterday - the 2nd day and oh my....  The store is 220,000 sq ft, has everything for sports that you can possible imagine plus has a 16,000 gallon aquarium, a 65-foot tall Ferris Wheel and two fully animated, talking presidents. There is a deli/fudge shop with 24 flavors of homemade fudge and 18 flavors of gelato. It is totally overwhelming!!!!!  The thing that I didn't expect was a department of women's clothing, purses and jewelry that was not sports related - some really cute stuff. I didn't even find the shoe dept - too many people. Yes, the store and parking lot was packed yesterday but I can't wait to go back when it isn't so packed just to really look around. I overhead one person saying "this will be the new tourist attraction for KC" and I agree - it isn't just a store, it is an experience.
 
 

No comments: