Monday, July 06, 2015

Another Monday.....

Another holiday over with..... I'm not sure why I have no interest in most holidays.  Maybe it is because my parents didn't make a big deal of them when I was growing up, maybe it was because for so many years when I was by myself and didn't have people to celebrate with or because both of the above coupled by Larry not being big on holidays so we usually didn't do anything special for them. When I was plant manager, we rarely shut down for holidays and sometimes worked Christmas.  If I was home and the plant was working, then I always made it a point to go to the plant and work in my office for awhile plus go out on the floor and say "hi" to the guys working. Anyway, I'm always glad when they are over. Overland Park has a ban on all fireworks except the displays put on by the town.  The ban includes sparklers.  It was nice to not hear any fireworks going off......

Me and my Fit Bit: We are getting along just fine and the little guy hasn't had cause to smirk at me anymore. I have walked at least 1.5 miles every day and most days it is 2.5+ miles. Last evening I checked it and was only at .75 miles so went out after the sun set to get in a mile walk even though it was around 80 degrees. The longest walk I have done at one time is 1.5 miles which is a long way from when Larry and I would do 4 miles to the McDonalds and back home. My back does bother me some at times when I'm walking but my knees are feeling much better and not as stiff. I've been noticing a lot of baby bunnies on the trail and they are so cute!  However, when they are on the trail in front of me they don't seem to be afraid so I walk 2-3' by them and they just set there and watch me. 

Weekend with no rain:  I wrote a few weeks ago that we hadn't had an official Sat and Sun weekend without rain since March 21-22nd.  Well this weekend we finally made it and there was NO rain. Now in the meantime there have been weekends when we didn't have rain in Overland Park but that isn't the official weather for KC which is measured at the KCI airport. Everything is sooooooo green! 

Farmer's Market:  The market is getting into full gear.  Last Saturday I got tomatoes, new potatoes, early peaches and corn.  The corn was REALLY good. 

Sept Trip:  My 2 friends from Tucson and I are working on the driving trip we are doing in September. We got the itinerary set and are now working on hotels/motels to stay at. Places we are staying overnight are in order: Bentonville, AR; Little Rock, AR; Memphis, TN; Nashville, TN; Gatlinburg, TN; Ashville, NC; Cookeville, TN; Paducah, KY; St Louis, MO; Boonville, MO and back to my house. They are flying out to KC from Tucson and we leave from my place. It is really hard to pick places to stay! Prices have also really gone up since we did a driving trip on the east coast 3 years ago. We are really looking forward to the trip!

No comments: