Saturday, April 05, 2014

My Private Art Gallery

In some ways, selecting the furniture was easy compared to getting all the finishing touches done on the apartment. As we know, it's the little things that make it home..... One of the dilemmas I have been dealing with is a short hallway between the entry and the open floor plan of the living room, etc. You walk in the entry, see a wall, go a little ways, make a left turn down a hallway where you can see the living room ahead of you.  It was the "hallway" that bothered me - it needed something to flow to the living room.  I was walking through a store last week and it hit me "Make the walls a display for my photographs"! Then the search started for frames and that took a couple of days. I finally found the perfect frames and they are called "floating frames". The picture goes between 2 pieces of glass, there is a small frame and the mat is the wall behind the frame that shows through the glass. I got 4 of the 8 x 10 frames and 2 of the 11 x 14 frames.  Then was the decision on which 6 pictures of the nearly 10,000 I have on my computer to use. I decided to use the "painted pictures" which is where I take a picture, apply a software effect and the result looks like a painting. Since it is Spring, using flowers seemed logical.  What I like about these frames is that I can easily change them out and do different themes - animals, landscape and maybe even a Gallery of Morris.... Of course I didn't have a clue how to place the pictures so Sheryl came over and helped me with that plus deciding which flowers to use.  I can only print 8 x 10's on my printer so had to order the 11 x 14's.  And here is the result:
I already had the table, lamp, etc but the pictures really did what I was hoping for in the entry and hallway. There are 2 more 8 x 10's on the left side of the wall that you can't see here. The pictures are from California, Arizona, Missouri and Arkansas and all have a story behind them as to where I was, why I took the picture, how I got took the picture, etc.
This is one of the pictures where you can see the "painting" effect. The story on this one is that last Spring I got a bouquet of tulips from Trader Joe's and had them in a vase on the kitchen counter in Tucson. I was taking some pictures of them and couldn't quite get what I was looking for. I took the vase outside and sat it on the patio wall.  Then I knelt down and took it up with the golf course trees and sky in the background.  Walla! What I was wanting....

No comments: