Sunday, September 07, 2014

Little Rock Misc.....

I had forgotten how polite people are in the south.  I am amazed all over again with "Yes Ma'am" from teenagers.  People hold the door open for maturing people. Yesterday a young girl on the elevator wished me a "have a good afternoon" as she was getting off the elevator.  Refreshing!

I looked at the weather for this week in KC and was shocked to see that the temperature for Friday is 51 H & 42 low that night.  Time to get out sweaters or a least long sleeves out of the closet!  Can't wait for fall. I plant to go to the nursery this week and get mums for the patio and entry.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the hotel has been totally renovated since I was here last. I had breakfast in the café/dining room this morning (they call it a Bistro) and again they have something I have never seen before.  There are the usual tables and chairs but there are 4-5 of these little areas where there is a corner sofa with a table and your own little TV with control for watching TV while eating. There is also an electrical plug-in for laptop, phone, etc.  I liked it!

I saw this in the sports section of the paper this morning and thought it was rather interesting. With today being the opening day of the football season, everyone starts out with a clean slate.
 
I was excited to see that the current special exhibit at the Clinton Library is an exhibit by Chuhuly who is a world famous glass blower.  I have seen his work in Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Las Vegas and now Little Rock.  This is by far the best exhibit - mostly due to how it is displayed.  Above is his work in the fountain outside the library. I like them in the fountain much better than mixed in with cactus like they were in Phoenix Botanical Garden
When you walk in this room and see this it is just breathtaking!  Everything is set on black glass and the lighting is perfect.  I have seen some of these pieces in other places but never in one room together like this. It took his people 5 days to set up the exhibit.
There is another room on the 3rd floor that has individual pieces.  Again, displayed on high black glass tables with spotlights on them. It was really an outstanding exhibit!

This morning I went to the zoo while it was still overcast and relatively cool - well 73 degrees cool. I really can't believe that Larry and I never went there while we were here since I love going to zoos. I think we thought it would be too hot....  I'll get the many picture I took edited when I get home and add them to the blog in the next few days.

I was walking back to the hotel earlier in the evening after dinner and saw a cop stop two motorcycle riders. They had passed me and you could hear them coming from a block behind me since they were going really slow and reving their bikes every few feet.  There is a police station on the corner to the left of the above. The cop heard them coming, walked out into the street and stopped them when they got to him. There is not a lot of crime own here in the Market Street area and I think it is because of the police presence. The street is crawling with cops walking and riding bicycles on Friday and Saturday nights.  Tourism is important to the city and they are protecting the area that brings in money to the city.

I's heading home in the morning with a stop in Bentonville for to visit the Crystal Bridges museum before going on home later in the day. It is about a 3 1/2 hour drive each leg of the trip.
 

 

No comments: