Research: Well I didn't find out where my Great Grandfather Jefferson Luther Arnold is buried! He died in a Union regimental hospital in 1864 at Brownsville, AR of Small Pox. His military records just record his death but nothing about burial. What I did find out today is that back then, when someone died of small pox, especially in the Civil War, the bodies were buried in a mass grave or cremated. All their clothes and bedding were burned. It was highly contagious so they couldn't take chance of it spreading. Of the 216 men in his regiment, 182 died of infectious disease - probably small pox. We will probably never know for sure what happened. So, moving on to his father and other members of his family including a son (brother to my grandfather). I did get a lot of information on land owned by my 2nd Great Grandfather in northern Arkansas during the 1800's. And then there is the recently discovered information that my Great Grandmother (Jefferson's wife) died in Missouri and family legend implied she died in Arkansas so I need to also do some search on her..... The journey continues.....
Shopping: After finishing the research, I drove out to Larry's favorite Dillard's for a little shopping. I do love 65% off sales.....
The trip down here has been good for me..... All the stuff with Morris has brought back so many hard memories of Larry getting sick, waiting on test results, and then the end. It seemed like I couldn't get my mind of remembering. Down here, I am remembering the good times and good memories of places, etc. I needed the mind shift!
I got all the research done today which was much faster than I had planned on so will probably head home on Monday instead of Tuesday. Some of the leads I got today I can do the research on at the Midwest Genealogy Center at home.
Saturday, September 06, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment