Monday, August 10, 2015

Busy weekend!

Trip to Columbia: I drove over to Columbia, MO on Thursday to attend the annual conference of the Missouri State Genealogy Society. Me and about 165 other people had 2 full days of genealogy techniques, etc.  The speaker is one of the top speakers in the country and she was really good. I leaned how much I don't know! I was going to stay over yesterday, Sunday, and go on over to Jefferson City to do some research today before coming home.  However, besides being really brain tired, I learned that there are more records available in Jefferson City at the Missouri State Archives than I knew about. I didn't have all the info I would need to search them so will do it another trip.

New GPS:  I got a new Garmin GPS unit for the car before the road trip in September. The one I had was very old with outdated technology in it.  The new one is great and the screen is larger. However, the BEST thing is that they have taken the "Recalculating" out of the voice directions.  I HATED it when I would take a wrong turn, turn to get gas, etc and this condescending voice would say "Recalculating" in a voice that was really saying "Stupid"......  The new unit just gives new directions from where ever I am and her voice is much more friendly.

New Cable TV Box: I have been having some problems with my cable box so last week they upgraded me to a new system. I can now have 5 channels going at once - recording 4 and watching the 5th one.  The old box would only do 2 at a time. That part is great since I record a lot of shows and watch them later.  However, I HATE getting use to a new cable system.  It is o.k. if all you do is watch TV. I have to learn all new prompts, what buttons do what on the remote, the steps to set up shows for recording shows is all different, etc.  Eventually I will get the hang of it but for now and just plain frustrated!


No comments: