Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday already?

It was 57 degrees at 9 a.m. this morning when I went for a walk - loved it but was glad I took along a long sleeve shirt....

On Saturday night, I went to see Garrison Keillor at Starlight Theater. I missed seeing him in Tucson so immediately got a ticket when I heard he was coming to KC. I read, after I got my ticket, that this is his last year doing the radio show and touring so especially glad I got to see him. The radio show will continue with one of the cast members taking the lead roll.   For you who don't know who he is, he is an author, storyteller, humorist and the host of the PBS radio show A Prairie Home Companion. On the radio show, besides musing about events and music, he provides the latest news from Lake Wobegon which is a fictional little town where "all the women are strong, all the men are good looking and all the children are above average." I used to listen to him and his CD's when I was traveling all the time. So....to the show Saturday Night. It was a perfect night for a show at Starlight - cool, but not sweater weather,  and no rain. He came out by himself, walked down off the stage and let the audience in an acapella rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Then we walked all the way up the aisle to the back of the theater which is a pretty steep climb and was talking the whole time. If you haven't done that walk, that is a pretty steep climb - I speak from experience. Then he wandered back to the stage and the rest of the cast came out. The musicians on the show are really, really good. However, for me the cast stand out was the older guy who does "sound effects" that range from the sound of someone walking across a room to many, many animal sounds - one right after the other as the script calls for it. The guy is amazing! Garrison is 73 years old and has been doing the show for 41 years.  He was dressed in a tan suit with red tennis shoes. 8-) He did a 2+ hour show with no intermission....

Memo from by my back to me: NEVER expect me to set on wooden seats for that long again without a cushion! I actually had to leave after 2 1/2 hours of setting - by back said "enough is enough".  Part of it was that there wasn't enough room between seats for me to cross my legs, change positions, etc. Guess I will go shopping for a stadium cushion to take along....

Kidney doctor:  I had my annual checkup last week with the kidney doctor and we are both happy campers. He attributes my low creatinine numbers to my loosing weight, eating better, etc. I have his approval for continuing to take ibuprophen as long as my numbers stay good.  He was glad that I did the RF Ablation for pain management and was seeing a pain management doctor instead of just relying on pills. I'm finally done with all the annual check-ups by all the doctors!

No comments: