Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Rocheport, MO

A couple of weeks ago I saw a list of the "Top 10 Little Towns in Missouri".  I have already been to some of them but 2 caught my eye and I made a note to visit them - Parkville, MO was #1 and Rocheport, MO was #4. I stopped at Rocheport last week on my drive to Columbia. Population is 244 and I'm not sure what makes it so popular but I suspect that it is a weekend get-a-way since there is a larger winery there, lots of beautiful old Victorian houses that have been restored and turned into B&B's plus the Katy trail goes through town. The town was originally founded in 1825.

This is main street in Rocheport. The main store is a General Store (black awning) that sells everything from antiques to new bowls made of bamboo or kitchen spoons made of recycled plastic bottles. Yes, I got one of the bowls and spoon sets. 

I did my usual walk around looking at flowers and there were lots of them in yards and containers on main street. 

However, this was my favorite find and what I will remember Rocheport for! It is a 1928 Gypsy Wagon that has been totally restored and updated. 

Dutch doors at the back of the wagon with stained-glass windows and stained-glass turn signals. . 

Inside the wagon looking back at the living space. 

Front seat. The wagon is Solid Red Oak Wood Body, Red Oak Wood Floors, Copper Roof, 21 Stained Glass Windows; Stylized Wooden Sink, AD/CS Refrigerator, Antique Buggy Lantern Lights, AC/DC 12-Volt Lights, 30-Gallon Water Supply, Double Bed and 15 MPG. The Wagon has been updated with a 4-speed automatic transmission, power steering  and power brakes. I love it!



No comments: