Thursday, June 28, 2012

A day of genealogy research

I met Jennifer, Shelby and the foster baby this morning for breakfast. Then I headed downtown to the Californial Historical Library to do some genealogy research on Larry's family. I had made a pretty long list of stuff to research.  Some of was specific and some of it was whatever they had on a person.  I didn't find the one thing that I am really on a hunt for which is the Naturalization record of Larry's great-grandfather who came over from Ireland. I'm hoping that that would tell me what port he came through.  I've tried searching passenger list and there must be a 100 people with his name that came from Ireland around the time he did.  No luck at the library here but they referred me to the records of the National Archives so will try that when I get home.  However, I did find a lot of info on Larry's grandfather that I didn't have and some that I did have. I found his great-grandfather on his dad's side in the 1930 CA Death Index book but California doesn't have open records so I have to submit a request to get a copy of the full death certificate but it takes about 18 months to get it. Other states have death certificated available on-line after a certain number of years have passed but not California. Tomorrow I'm going back and start searching for some stuff  that is on microfilm. I'm so used to doing computer searches that it seems strange to go to a card file, find something and then look it up in a book or on microfilm.  I met Jennifer, Steve and kids for dinner tonight. It was nice to not repack the car today and head on to another town. One Day At A Time..

No comments: