Friday, June 29, 2012

Still in Sacramento

I met Jennifer, Shelby and baby for breakfast again and then headed out for another day of genealogy research. I found a lot of neat stuff while spending several hours staring at microfilm reader screens and thumbing through 100 year old books. Among the things I found were Larry's great-great grandfathers obituary in the San francisco Daily Evening Bulletin (newspaper) from January 24, 1865; Larry's great grandfather has a page with a bio in the Roster of California Pioneers; letters that his 8th great-grandfather wrote in 1781 and 1780 which just blows me away. On one of them, there is a copy of the original in his handwriting (in Spanish) and then the transcription. It was a very successful 2 days of research!
I've been to most of the places in Tucson that Larry and I used to go to so it doen't bother me as much when I go there now.  However, up here it all new virgin territory and I'm constantly being places or going by them that we used to go to all the time. Sad. Lonely. Bitter dose of reality. One Day At A Time...
Gertrude is still doing a good job of getting me to places and back. However, I don't know why she got me on the freeway for 1 mile and then back off to the same street I was on before the freeeway.  Where I was going was just a few miles on the original street.... As everyone knows, I was already a big fan of my smartphone but it is really great when traveling. Besides being a map, it is really nice to be able to check email when I'm someplace that doesn't have internet or I don't have the laptop. And then there is the ability to find the nearest McDonalds... 8-)
Meeting Jennifer and family tonight for dinner and then we are going across the street to the Dairy Queen.  Yum, yum, yum!
In the morning it will be time to reload the car and head over to Georgia's in the San Francisco area.

No comments: