Sunday, September 20, 2015

Cookeville, TN

We left Asheville this morning and headed back west towards home.

I-40 west of Asheville is a beautiful drive.  It winds around through the Smokey Mountains for quite a few miles before it runs into just low rolling hills. Fortunately for  me, there were not as many trucks on the road today so I could enjoy the drive a little bit more.

Due to the time zone change, we gained an hour, we got to Cookeville around noon and had the afternoon to just wander around town. You are probably thinking "where is Cookeville and why are you stopping there?" Well,,, Cookeville is about 75 miles east of Nashville on I-40. We could have driven onto Nashville tonight but Nashville to St Louis was a longer drive in one day than we wanted to do so are staying in Cookeville tonight and Paducah, KY tomorrow night before onto St. Louis. We had no idea about anything in Cookeville so had a pleasant surprise when we got here today. Cookeville was founded in 1854 and is the county seat for Putnam County, has a metro population of 106,000 people, home to quite a few manufacturing companies, home to Tennessee Tech College and Dixie College. 

This is one of many the restored homes in the town's North Dixie Avenue Historic District. All of the houses were built before WW II and are examples of many types of architecture ranging from Queen Anne to Colonial to Bungalow. 

Admissions building for Dixie College that was founded in 1909. 


Literally, across the street from Dixie College, is the Tennessee Tech College founded in 1916. This is Derryberry Hall which is the Admissions, Administration and home to the Master's college. 

The present county courthouse was built in 1900 after the previous one was destroyed by fire. This town certainly likes their white columns.....

I have no idea what the story is behind this mural. We saw some other murals around town but this one really stood out. It covers the whole side of a building. 

We hve to make a stop in Nashville in the morning on our way to Paducha to pick up my Kindle e-ready that I left at the hotel in Nashville. I missed it as soon as I got to Asheville and started unpacking. I called the Nashville hotel and the cleaning person had turned it into the manager. I miss it and had to resort to reading a paper book the last couple of days!



No comments: