Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Cookbook at the printers
I think I have mentioned the cookbook I have been working on before but anyway.... For years, my brother and sister-in-law's kids, grand kids and other family members have been asking her to write her recipes down. From mashed potatoes to chicken and noodles, the family members have their favorite dishes that Vida fixes. I have my favorites and some of them are foods that my mother fixed when I was growing up in Missouri. Vida fixes them the same way my mom did. This is good ole home cooking food from the Midwest with lots of bacon, bacon grease, butter, etc that our doctors would be horrified to know we even tasted. However, it's what I grew up on and why I take cholesterol medicine today. I will take this food any day of the week if I could but it needs to be enjoyed in moderation. I volunteered to take the project on after reading an article in one of my genealogy magazines on the importance of passing along family recipes. So....I spent hours and hours last April when I was back in Missouri visiting them talking to Vida about her recipes. A lot of the deserts were written down but most of the side dishes and main dishes were in her head. I would write while Vida talked about how she would prepare a dish. Our first hurdle was getting the ingredient quantities down to where the dish would serve around 4 people instead of serving 8-10 people. I also interviewed her about when she first started cooking, cooking for threshing crews, cooking for a family that had 9 children in it or cooking for 35 people on special occasions when the kids, etc come home for Sunday dinner. I came home from the trip and started working on the book. I would list questions that came to mind, such as "do you drain the can of pineapple or not". Then I would send her the list and get answers back. I also gave a copy to a friend who had never seen it so she could go through it and see if she had any questions on any recipes if she was going to fix them. Finally the book was done and yesterday I took it to the printers to have 60 copies made - 50 for them and 10 for me. Now I have a big dilemma...how to cut the recipes down for just me... I have already made a few of the dishes and plan to make more of them even if I have to invite friends over to help me eat the quantities.. And now I know the secret to the mashed potatoes that everyone raves about... 8-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment