Friday, March 28, 2014

Genealogy and Weather

Genealogy:  I spent all day last Friday and Saturday at the Genealogy KC 2014 Conference where I was immersed in not only finding my roots but what to do after I find them. For a genealogist, or someone who aspires to be, it was heaven. There were about 700 people there - up from 350 who attended last year.  People were there from all over Missouri and Kansas which surprised me since I thought it was a local event. They had some really good speakers on a variety of topics.  However, my favorite speaker was Kathleen Brandt who is very knowledgeable but also a very entertaining speaker.  She did research for Tim McGraw when he was on the TV show "Who Do You Think You Are?". Thee were a couple of speakers from Ancestry.com. All "classes" were 1 hours long and it was a hard choice to pick the classes since there were over 50 of them offered over the 2 days in various class rooms. Some speakers were better than others but I learned something in every one of them. In some classes it was how better use genealogy software or how to improve research at the National Archives or how to do a digital scrapbook of our family finds. Vivian went with me on Saturday and I think she was on brain overload after the first couple of speakers... 8-)

Weather: Yes, there was a tornado about an hour north of greater KC yesterday but we only got pea-sized hail for about 2 minutes. Yes, it has been bitterly cold for days in a row since I have been here.  Yes, it was 70 one day and snowed the next. But....that is just the way it is and what you put up with to get 4 Seasons back here. I knew what I was in for since I lived in Missouri for 27 years when growing up, etc until I started moving west. I have gotten good use out of my sweaters and warn scarves that I  bought before I came back here. I haven't worn a heavy coat and gloves so much since I left Utah in 2002. I really appreciated having a garage or I might be singing a different song.... 8-)  Now for the tornado season that is approaching....  As with the ice, I have a healthy respect for them.  I listen to the weather on the TV and radio, am prepared and take precautions.  I can't remember the difference in a tornado watch and a tornado warning so yesterday put it in my cell phone so when I hear it on the radio I know which it is. The weather forecasters here really do a good job informing the public on the severe weather exactly where it is and when it will hit.  I bought a twin size comforter recently to cover Morris and me with in the bathtub.  They say to pull a mattress over you but that is just not doable for me. My plan is to grab Morris and put his leash on, grab the cell phone, grab a little emergency bag, grab the comforter and crawl into the bathtub. Then I have to leave it to the man upstairs.... What will be will be....

No comments: