Saturday, July 16, 2011

Meatless Dinner

Now, you say "What's the big deal bout a meatless meal?" When I was growing up in southwestern Missouri, you never had a meal without meat - beef, pork or chicken. That was just the way it was. However, tonight dinner was with no meat because we walked down to the Farmer's Market this morning and got our dinner. The Farmer's Market is on Tuesday and Saturday. Tuesday is a small one but Saturdays is incredible. We got there 45 minutes after it opened and the place was packed with people.There were 15-20 vendors and all had fresh fruits and vegetables. Larry even got to see what turnip greens looked like before they were cooked - another childhood staple but I wasn't very fond of it. Anyway, dinner tonight was corn-on-the-cob, cantelope, tomatoes and big slices of fresh cinnamon walnut rasin bread. No meat! 8-) I'm still stuffed and it was all soooooooooo good. I told the farmer that I wanted a cantelope that was ripe for eating today and he nailed it.

No comments: