As you may remember, back in February, I said that I was having some tiles added to the Memorial Wall at Peppi's House as part of a contribution to them and in memory of Larry. Peppi's House was so wonderful and they do such an amazing job of taking care of both the patient and the patient's family. Also, I wanted something permanent of him here and it didn't make sense to have a headstone since he was cremated. So.... I decided to go with tiles with his name on them. I got an email yesterday that the tiles were going to be installed today so I went over there just as they were finishing up. Santa Theresa Tile Works, here in Tucson, has done all the tile work on the wall and that is who I worked with to come up with an idea and then they custom made the tiles.
Susan, the artist, putting the finishing touches to Larry's tile.
This is a close up of the Memorial Wall. The purple arrow is pointing to two small tile groupings that are the ones for Larry. The wavy line across the bottom represents a river and a poem is written across the blue tiles.
After looking at the wall and talking to the artist, we decided to go with desert animals since Larry so enjoyed the animals that come through the golf course and in our yard. The above tiles are 2 javalinas and a prickly pear cactus. Right beneath the cactus are some rocks.
Larry never got tired of seeing the gambel quail that inhabit the area. They can have 10+ babies at a time. We would see the family crossing the street or passing through the yard with mommy in front, followed by all the babies and then daddy at the end of the line. The babies are so small and their little legs would just be a churning trying to cross a road. Sometimes we would have the whole family in the yard, underneath the bird feeder, eating the seeds that had fallen on the ground.
So.....there will always be something in Tucson with Larry's name on it and in his memory after I move from the area. One Day At A Time...... and today was special when I looked at the wall and saw his name there and the animals that brought him so much pleasure.





No comments:
Post a Comment