Friday, June 20, 2014

Medical tests are all done....

....at least for now. Yesterday I got to the hospital at 8 a.m. and left around 3 p.m. after a very long day. The reason for the Echocardiogram test was to determine if my heart is pumping properly, i.e. chambers are filling and emptying properly, valves working properly, etc. That was followed by a Nuclear Stress Test to determine how much blockage the plaque is causing. I can't do a treadmill stress test due to lung capacity so they go the artificial route with chemicals.
Echocardiogram: The test is painless and no chemicals are used but the position I had to lay in got uncomfortable after awhile. It was kinda interesting to see the monitor and watch "my heart" pumping, blood flowing in and out, etc. Unofficially the tech said he didn't see anything to worry about as far as pumping, etc goes.  One thing I learned that I didn't know is that when the chambers empty out, about 50-55% of the blood stays in the camber - they never empty out completely.
Regadenoson Thallium MPI Stress Test: This is also called a "Nuclear Stress test" although there are some variations on the Nuclear Stress Test - as to chemical used, amount of treadmill used, etc. In my case, the Redadenoson chemical was injected into an I-V line and I immediately felt the effect spreading through the body. The drug dilates the blood vessels. My face was very flushed, I felt warm, the heart was beating heavy, a funny feeling in the stomach and an immediate headache.  They gave me another injection after 3 minutes to pause the dilation.  Then came the shot of nuclear stuff so it will show up as it spreads through the body in the blood stream. I then laid down in a machine that is similar to a cross between a CT and MRI machine. It is from the waist up but not solid so I could see out in some places.  A big pad moves across the chest area - up, down, around, etc. The first pass was 5 minutes, a 1-2 minute break while the tech is resetting the machine and the 2nd pass was 16 minutes long.  I had to lay perfectly still during the time it was taking pictures which was 21 minutes total. My left arm had to be over my head while flat on my back. It was boring and hard to lay still - especially when my nose started itching...... The test is in 2 parts.  I had a 3 hour break after the above test before part 2.  I hadn't had anything to eat or drink for 12 hours before the test so I made a beeline for the cafeteria where I could have dry toast, jello and 7-Up. I could have left the hospital but it wasn't worth the drive since it is 40-45 minutes home so I just hung out there. I had my Kindle, iPad, iPhone, etc and found a quiet corner. The 2nd test was a "resting" test so no chemicals but still a 5 minute and then a 16 minute picture taking process. On the 2nd test, I made the mistake of having my head turned to the side when we started which was not a smart idea since it got pretty stiff after being in that position for so long. I finally left and headed for a restaurant to eat. I won't know the results for a few days and find out whether or not I need a stent.
I'm tired of setting in busy waiting room waiting on my name to be called and then being poked, prodded, having I-V lines put in,  having chemicals put in my body, having to lay perfectly still  and then waiting on test results! The people at the hospital are wonderful and I haven't had any bad experiences with them but still......  As soon as I got home yesterday I got a royally cussing out from Morris for being gone all day that went on and on. Within a few minutes I was in my recliner and didn't get up for almost 3 hours - I was totally exhausted.  I was in bed before it got totally dark outside, slept good and feel a little better today but still really tired.

No comments: