Vivian is on vacation this week and we are doing a "staycation". Yesterday we drove east to Boonville via a 2-lane highway rather than on the interstate. We stopped at Arrow Rock which was a stopping spot for Lewis and Clark and the Santa Fe Wagon Trail went through there. It was rather confusing since right next to a log cabin built in the 1800's was a house built in the 1950's or more recent. We had lunch at the J. Houston Tavern built in 1834 to serve the new community of Arrow Rock. Besides it being a tavern, it also providing beds and food the early settlers. On Sunday they only serve from 11 am to 2 pm and there are no choices to the meal that is served family style. It was fried chicken, (1/2 a chicken for 2 people), mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, home made biscuits, apple butter, fruit salad and a hominy salad. I was so FULL when we left there. However, I did get a new recipe - Hominy Salad. Vivian doesn't like hominy but loved this. I like hominy and loved this dish - even got the recipe from the owner. I have a picture but the computer is acting up again so can't post pictures. Will catch up with pics when I get home.
Today we are going to tour Warm Springs Ranch that is the breeding farm for the Budweiser Clydesdale horses. Can't wait!
Monday, April 27, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment