Friday, April 10, 2015

Greetings from Sebastopol, CA

And you are saying "Where in the world is Sebastopol?"  It's a little north of San Francisco.  I stopped here for the night instead of hitting Friday rush hour traffic in the city. And I'm so glad I did!!!  It was another 10 hour day but I am much more tired today than I was yesterday. I was o.k. today for the first 1.5 hours and then I turned off onto Hwy 1 from Hwy 101.  About 2 miles in I see one of those crooked signs saying "curves next 22 miles" and that was an understatement. I climbed mountains and I went down mountails but there were very few straight stretches. It was all curves, sometimes multiple tight curves one after the other with some hairpin curves thrown in. The road was narrow with tall trees on both sides right up to the road - no shoulder. I think it is the first time I got motion queazy while I was the one driving. I had to stop at a turnout just to get out and walk around a bit.  However, considering where I was, I wasn't outside the car very long.  There were little roads going back into the woods with big gates and padlocks on them.  No Treaspassing signs were promitely posted. Lot's of cash crops back in that part of the country if you get my drift.... 8-) The whole day was full of curves where 20 miles would take an hour to get there.  But...the weather was perfect!  Tomorrow typical April weather comes back with clouds and rain.

This may be my favorite picture of the day. It was not long after I came out of the mountain curves. I love the California Poppy's and saw a lot of them today.

A surprise was the Mendocino Coastal Botanical Gardens a little south of Ft. Bragg. I saw it on the map last night so stopped to check it out and spent about 1.5 hours there. 

Point Arena Lighthouse.  If you walk out to the point by the lighthouse, you will have walked as close to Hawaii as you can in the Continental United States. It was built in 1870, destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and rebuilt.  No, I did not climb the stairs to the top....

I saw a sign showing a cow, crossed a cattle guard but didn't think much about it until I came around a corner and there were loose cows in front of me.  This happed 2-3 times tody.

I never got used to see the Tsunami signs.... I mean, you think about a tsunami happening in Japan, little south see islands, etc. But in case you have forgotten, there was one that hit Crescent City, Ca (little north of Eureka) and killed 10 people back in 1964 when Alaska had a big earthquake. People along the coast take them seriously.
 
Tomorrow I get to Georgia's after a 2 hours drive and can rest.  On Sunday we drive down to Cambria but either Grorgia or Cass will be driving - not me.....

No comments: