I spent about 5 hours today on the computer researching my maternal grandfather's family. Sometimes a family history just comes together very easily based on what is on the Internet. That is the case with Larry's ancestors and my maternal ancestors. On my mother's side, I can go back to 1659 in Germany where my 6th Grandfather was born. However, on my mother's dad's side, I'm still searching for his mother and father. I've always said that genealogy is just a huge jigsaw puzzle that you try to put together. I have found a person who I think is my grandfather's mother along with 3 of his siblings on the 1880 Census. The pieces for her fit. However, there is never a husband mentioned for her. She is a single mother with 4 young children on the census but no husband. I can find her before she married while living with her parents but only the one occasion when she is married and with children. Assuming she is the one, I found quite a bit on her parents including the fact that her father was killed in the Civil War when a bullet hit him in the head. I'm trying to get as much research done as possible before I visit the Mid-Continent Genealogy Library here in KC. The Library has all kinds of information but I gotta know what to specifically look for before I go for a visit.
Another bit of family history I found today was a juicy gossip item..... I discovered that my Uncle left his wife of 26 years and 5 children to marry my mother's sister. Certainly never knew that before!
I didn't spend all day on the computer but took a noon break and went over to the Oak Park Mall which is a great place. This picture is at one of the mall entrance driveways. I love it! The shoe is at least 10-12' tall. The flowers in the shoe are begonias and the shoe is made of wicker.
I plan to spend at least 2 days a week during the next few weeks I'm here being a tourist. On Tuesday, I'm going to the Plaza to take pictures and also visit the Nelson Atkins Art Museum.
No comments:
Post a Comment