Saturday, June 22, 2013

Another lazy day...kind of

I'm getting a taste of summer here in KC the last few days.  Today it was around 95 with a heat index of 100. One of the big differences I notice from Tucson heat is that here there is usually a breeze and the breeze doesn't feel like it is coming off a blast furnace. Yes, it is humid and I don't go for walks in the afternoon. It was 75 when I got up this morning at 6. I wake up around 5:30 - 6 a.m. without any alarms. Sometimes Morris wakes me up first with a single full volume "meow" and sometimes he is not happy when I get up and he want's to stay in bed a little longer. This morning I went ahead and got up since I wanted to get back into walking. I went for my walk, went to the farmer's market, stopped at Wal Mart on the way home and was home by 9 a.m. I'll admit to both of us taking a nap this afternoon. Here is His Majesty curled up in the easy chair. After the nap, I spent several hours on genealogy research for my maternal grandfather chasing down possible leads.
 

I got down to the Farmer's Market this morning before it got packed although it was still really busy. As I said before, I really like the fact that the vendors are required to have a sign on every display that says "farm grown" or "warehouse product" so I know if it is the same thing I would get in a grocery store or not. It's noted on the price sign. I saw a sign this morning that I didn't really notice before and it said "farm auction".  I asked and  found out that it is grown in an Amish community where they pool all their product from the community and people buy produce, fruit, etc from the pooled product. The below tomatoes are "farm auction" so were grown by the Amish.  Some of the tomatoes they had were really big. I also get a little loaf of home-made Orange Cranberry Sweet Bread when I go to the Overland Park market.  It is more of a desert bread but really good.
 
Since I wasn't really clear about when I leave here to head home, I will be leaving here July 22nd and should be home in the afternoon of July 24th. I make my hotel reservations yesterday.  I thought about doing the drive in 2 days but decided that 10 hour days of driving by myself wasn't the smartest thing to do so will take 2 1/2 days again. On the home trip, I will be staying overnight in Shamrock, TX and Las Cruces, NM.

No comments: