Sunday, December 06, 2015

Albuquerque to Flagstaff

The last time I drove this road was in 1980 when I moved from Denver to Eugene, Oregon.  Many moons ago.... Today's drive was only 325 miles so piece of cake!  Also, there was more to look at, some curves in the road and stops not so far apart which kept Sam busy.

I don't often get excited about a hotel but the one in Albuquerque was really a nice one. It was a Best Western Plus and only a year or sold old. The style was southwest.

This is my room before I unpacked. It was large and really pretty. 

I have NEVER seen one of these in a hotel - only in airports. Hotels always have those large luggage carts that can be impossible to get into an elevator or turn a corner. They had the big carts but also had these little carts. 

My big find today was a balloon festival or something in Gallup, New Mexico.  I could see the balloons as I was coming into town. I got off the highway and drove towards them finding a great viewing spot - me and several other cars.

 I spent about 15 minutes there watching them taking off. They were really pretty but no, I have NO interest in going up in one. 

Just barely getting off the ground on the other side of the rail road tracks. 

Pretty!

I stopped in Winslow, AZ for lunch at the LaPosada. This was originally a Santa Fe Rail Road built hotel and Fred Harvey restaurant for rail passengers. It was closed in the 1950's and has since been reopened and renovated.


On to Tucson tomorrow with a stop at the Montezuma Castle on the way south. 

No comments: