National Museum of the Pacific Way - Fredericksburg, Texas
I thought they were kidding when AAA said to allow 2.5 hours to tour it but they were not kidding. It is huge with many. many exhibits that covered about every major battle in the Pacific during WW2 plus events leading up to the war and the immediate aftermath. The museum is well done and is self-guided so I could go at my own pace. I eventually skipped some of the island battle exhibits.
There were 2 exhibits that really stood out for me. One of them was listing to President Roosevelt address Congress in which he declares war on Japan. This is the picture of him signing the declaration after the speech.
This looks larger than it is but it is a replica of the containers that held the atomic bombs that were dropped on Japan. It was really interesting to read the minute by minute events that the pilots went through as they dropped the bomb and immediately afterward.
Luckenback, Texas
You won't appreciate Luckenbach unless you are a fan of Willie Nelson. Larry and I were here in around 2004 when we were trying to decide where to retire to and were considering San Antonio. Visiting Luckenbach was his favorite part of the trip! Unfortunately, it is a lot more commercialized today than it was back then.
Last night I was looking at the map and noticed the park. I looked it up and saw that I would be near it today so stopped in. I had never heard about it before. The park is the LBJ's ranch that he had both before and after he was President. After you go get a pass to go onto the ranch, you take a drive that goes all around it - through the pasture, across the Pedernalesles River, and to the Texas White House - the ranch house.
It is open range so I had to stop a couple of times and let the cattle get off the road.
The Johnson's home that was know as the Texas White House. There is a landing strip behind the house for his small Air Force 1 jet when he came home for a visit and for visiting dignitaries to use. The house overlooks the River - a beautiful view.
Good Day for being a tourist!!





No comments:
Post a Comment