Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Busy day in San Antonio

A storm is coming in this weekend and we may get rain plus it will be much cooler so I am doing some extra things while it is 83 degrees and sunny. By the time I made it through the Zoo, Tea Garden and Mission San Jose, my feet and back said "NO MORE" so we came back to the hotel and napped. Plus I walked a few blocks from the hotel to lunch and back. My FitBit says 3.6 miles so far and I will go more since I want to walk along the Riverwalk this evening to dinner someplace. 8-) Samantha is doing a fine job of getting me around town. I don't think I would ever go back to using maps - even if someone else was driving.

San Antonio Zoo: I had a great time at the zoo today. I didn't realize that the zoo here has so many exhibits of birds - probably the most I have ever seen in a zoo. They even have a lot of "winter visitor" birds since this is a popular area for winter migrating birds - here down to the gulf. The high point for me was seeing the 3 African Lion cub triplets. The 2 boys and 1 girl were born July 25, 2015 so are about 5 months old. The parents are first time parents......

"Daddy, wait on me." He would roar at them whenever they would come over and try to play with him and then they would scamper away. 

Mom was much more tolerant when they tried to play with her. 

"Here I come."  Look how big his feet are!

"Wonder if I can climb this tree. You catch me if I fall. "

The three finally tired out and rested for a few minutes. Dad and Mom were napping in the sun. 

Most of the birds had pictures with their species on them but neither this one or the next one had a name. They sure were pretty!

I may have to ask my friend in Oregon what species they are. 

Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo: The mission was built in 1768 and replaced the original crude mission built in 1750.  Most of the compound, including it's outer walls has been restored. Each mission was a fortified village with the church, housing, crops, etc in side the walls. Mission San José was established by Franciscan priests and served the local Indians. Enough rooms were built to house 350 Indians. The mission lands were given to its Indians in 1794, and mission activities officially ended in 1824. However, the church is still a functioning Catholic church.    

The walls are massive and there is 3 gates into the mission grounds. 


The Church and Conventor. The Conventor is on the right side behind the curved openings. It is where the missionaries were housed. 

Front of the church. 

Interior of the church. A music major student from a local university was playing Christmas Carols on the baby ground piano. Nice!

The alter area. It is really beautiful!

Tomorrow it's off to the Botanical Gardens, San Fernando Cathedral and the Alamo.  

No comments: