Thursday, December 17, 2015

Another day at the Desert Museum

I have a pattern of spending the anniversary day of Larry's death doing something he like to do.  If  I am in Tucson then I go someplace he really enjoyed and the Desert Museum was a favorite of his while we live here. So off  I went this morning.... It was a beautiful day - sunny and warmer than the last few days - up to 59 which was wonderful in the sun.

One of the exhibits in the aquarium is these garden eels which are really weird looking. They kinda look like worms sticking up out of the gravel and sway with the current waiting on unsuspecting prey to  come by so they can grab it. 

My buddy Cruz is tucked back in his cave watching the world go by.  The docent said that a service dog had gone by earlier and both Cruz and the dog alerted. So I guess Cruz has maybe had a run-in with a dog when he was young and was roaming around San Jose, CA looking for food. Soon after I took this picture, he went out on a big rock and sat in the sun for the longest time. He is such a magnificent mountain lion. 

The bobcat was laying on a rock in the sun enjoying the sun. He reminded me of Morris who used to sleep in the same position including let one leg hand over. 

Here is a Gila Woodpecker sitting on top of a very tall Saguaro cactus. They will build a nest inside the cactus. 

Quit looking for an animal in this picture because there isn't one. It is actually the Big Horn Sheep exhibit but they were inside while it was being cleaned.  All these rocks are man-made. They have a big workshop at the museum who does nothing but construct rocks for exhibits and the museum grounds. You absolutely cannot tell the rocks are not real and they even feel real. 


This buy, I haven't found out what his name is yet, was in the Walk-In Aviary. I was taking pictures of him and just after this one he flew up and attacked my head. He was flying around my head and I'm trying to wave him off. I got out of there! I don't know what I did to make him mad except take his picture but he looks mad in this one. 

Tomorrow I am heading up north of Tucson to tour the Biosphere - something I never did during the 9 years we lived here.

No comments: