Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Larry's clothes
I have learned in the support group that people deal with the clothes that their loved one had differently. Some people want them out of the house ASAP. Some still have them in the house 2 years later. Most are somewhere in between... For me, it didn't feel right to let them go until after I got home from the CA trip and then it felt o.k. to let them go. I have thought it over the past few months but just couldn't do it. Now, I can. I always knew I wanted them to go someplace where they were needed and not just give them to a thrift store. I learned of a Veteran's Transition Home here in town from a counselor at Peppi's House who works with veterans. That seemed to fit what I was looking for. I'm starting with his summer clothes, shoes, etc. The winter sweaters, jackets, etc will be when we get closer to winter. Larry LOVED going shopping for clothes and shoes which is very unlike most men. I didn't count anything except his Bermuda shorts and he had 27 pair of those - all starched, creased and on hangers. Then there was the shirts to go with the shorts and shoes to go with the shorts and shirts. I never thought he had a "hobby" until I started packing them up and realized that clothes was his "hobby"... However, it was a bit emotional to go through them and fold them. I could remember where he got a lot of the items and many times it was on trips we were on. I kept some of my favorite shirts - I just couldn't let them go. Some are long sleeved and I will wear them in the winter over t-shirts. The big empty space in the closet bothered me so I took some of mine and hung them on his side just so the space wasn't empty. Anyway, part of his clothes are boxed up and sitting in the bedroom waiting for the home to come get them. It's part of putting life back together and taking it One Day At A Time....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment