Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mission San Buenaventura

For the last year or so, I have been on a mission to visit the California Missions that Larry's ancestors had ties to. Larry and I went to Mission Santa Barbara and Mission Doloroes in San Francisco. On my own I was at Mission San Juan Capistrano back in April and on this trip visited Mission San Buenaventura.  I was going to stop at Mission Ynez but was through there before they opened for the day and didn't want to wait. In August, I plan to visit Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala when I'm over in San Diego. Anyway, Larry's 2nd great-grandfather was married at Mission San Buenaventura.

The Mission began in a brushwood shelter in 1782.  The church was built and was burned down a time or two before the current structure was built in 1809. It has been in continuous use since it's dedication except for a brief time following an earthquake and tidal wave in 1812 although it has been enlarged a time or two. Constructed of tile, stone and adobe, the church's walls are 6 1/2 feet thick. The massive pine and oak timbers were hewn for the roof and ceiling using an ax.  The church was restored in the 1920s.
I'm always amazed at how long and narrow the inside of the Missions are. The alter area of the church is really beautiful. The wooden pillars were made in 1808 in Mexico City and are painted to look like marble. The 6 silver candlesticks were brought from Spain in the mid-nineteenth century. Incorporated in the pulpit are sections of the old pulpit that was used until 1893.
The arrow points to the candle I lit for Larry. I lit a candle for him at Mission San Juan Capistrano and it just seems fitting with his ties to these Missions.
The courtyard grounds of Mission San Buenaventura are not as large, elaborate and lavish as those at Mission San Juan Capistrano.  However, they are beautiful and beautifully maintained.

No comments: