Friday, May 17, 2013

Kansas City vs Tucson

Today you get a geography lesson....  Several people have asked me "how big is Kansas City" so I did a little checking to compare KC to Tucson. Population of Tucson is 526,000 and Kansas City is 463,000.  That number comparison surprised me.  However when it comes to the population of the metropolitan area is is Tucson 990,000 and KC is 2,035,000. KC is the 29th largest city in the US. Tucson really only has one "suburb" where KC has many of them. I would have guessed that KC metro had a population of closer to 3,000,000 people based on what I have seen. KC is really spread out. The thing that really amazed Larry on his first trip to KC was how much undeveloped land there was within city limits. You drive along and think you are in the country since there are no houses or business to be seen and then they appear again. I'm not a fan of the KC airport since it is about 15 miles from the city center area.  You have a good long drive if you are out in the burbs...
The Kansas Missouri state line runs north/south through Kansas City with businesses on one side of the street in Missouri and businesses on the other side in Kansas. In 2010, Money Magazine listed Overland Park, KS (where my apt is for the summer) as the "7th best city to live in the US".

No comments: