Morris and I leave next Monday, May 20th and will be driving for 2 1/2 days before getting to our "apartment" in Overland Park, Kansas where we will spend 2 months. Needless to say, this trip reminds me so much of the trip that Larry, Morris and I took back to Little Rock 2 years ago. I don't mind the driving but a bigger concern is my passenger. It wasn't very hard when Larry was with us because the passenger was in charge of Morris. We had our routine down pat - 1 of us would go to the rest room and the other one stayed in the car with Morris and had a hand on his collar when the other one came back to the car so Morris couldn't sneak out and head off for parts unknown. Before, we just let him run around in the back of the SUV. I just didn't feel safe doing that with just me in the car and I would have no control when I came back from getting gas, etc and opening the door. So....below is his home in the car.
I know his pet carrier was too small as he can't even stand up in it. I came up with a soft-sided crate after weeks of searching. The front, end and top zips open. It is about 24" long and about 19" high so he has plenty of room. He has been sleeping on top and periodically will walk into it for a few minutes at a time. This way I can leave him in it while getting in and out of the car, unloading the car at a hotel and loading the car back up in the morning. His Kitty Valium is ready but I won't use it unless I really have to. On the last trip, he yowled for about 1 1/2 hours and then settled down for the rest of the trip. He screams all the way to and from the vets so I'm kinda used to it but we were just about ready to administer the Valium when he began to quieten down. We have rented a furnished apartment (corporate housing) in an apartment complex in Overland Park, Kansas while we are there. All we have to take are clothes, etc but I have learned to also take my favorite kitchen knives, skillet, etc. I don't know about Morris but I'm looking forward to a fun summer and no lizards for 2 months....


No comments:
Post a Comment