Part of the services offered by Peppi's House, the hospice facility Larry was in, is that they provide bereavement counseling to family members for one year after the patient dies. My year was up last January. However, Mary informed me then that she would stretch the rules and keep me on - I think she is interested in knowing how I rebuild my life. My life the last 18 months would have been very different if I had not had her support and weekly counseling. Now I see her once a month. Anyway, today she wanted to make an appt for when I get back in July and said she wanted to follow me until I move from Tucson next year. I am really fortunate in getting this much quality support free of charge... I'll make a donation since they won't take money for the counseling.
Today after meeting with her, I visited the room that Larry was in when he was a patient there - it was the first time it had been empty when I was there to see her. Needless to say, it was very emotional for me and brought back a lot of memories. I was standing there looking at the bed and among the thoughts that came to mind was that "he was in no pain while in that bed" unlike in the hospital. There was a certain sense of closure when I left the room.
After I see her, I always go outside to the Memorial wall, look at the animals I had done in his memory and remember the good times. I so love the wall and the peace it brings. Larry's are the two sets of animals above the blue swirls (representing a river) in the above picture. The part of the poem under him says "we now remember our time in the river with them. Their lives now lay at rest."
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment