Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Memorial Service at Peppi's House

Every 3 months, Peppi's House has a Memorial Service for everyone who has passed away during their care for the previous 3 months. It includes both in-house patients and those who were at home but under Peppi's Hospice care. The service was last night and Larry was included. It was very, very emotional and I was very glad to have 2 friends with me. The highlight of the service is that the family goes up and lights a candle when their loved ones name is called. There is a large screen showing nature pictures and the name and date of death is on the picture.  The pictures were beautiful and included beach, mountains, desert, flowers, birds, etc.  Larry's was a stream's waterfall that looked like it was in the Midwest. You take the lighted candle back to your seat with you. Then when everyone is done, they ask you to day the loved one's name and blow out the candle. Wow!  Tears flowed for everyone...  There was a great sense for me of "letting go" and I'm not sure how it was different from other things I've been through the last 11 weeks but it was different - question for the counselor next week. It was a beautiful service and I'm thankful for being able to participate in it. As painful as things like this are, it's part of healing and is helping me move on and come to terms with everything that has happened.  One Day At A Time..

No comments: