Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Buddy, The Buddy Holly Story

Last night I enjoyed dinner and a performance at the New Theater which is a dinner theater here in Overland Park. It is wonderful!

The Theater:
For $43.00 I got a really good buffet dinner, a fair seat and free parking. Drinks and desert are extra. They have a few booths that are for singles and I was in one of those. It was close to the stage but at the side so I could not see the back of the stage.  Fortunately almost all of the  performance was at the front of the stage. Each row is up one tier from the row in front so I didn't have to worry about someone tall in front of me. Seating starts at 6 p.m., buffet line starts at 6:30 and show at 7:35 with a 25 minute intermission. My table was set when I got there. Soon after I was seated the server came by and took my drink order plus explained how it all worked since I had not been there before. A good salad and basket of warm bread soon followed with a very passable glass of wine. I imagined a long line at the buffet line but boy was I wrong.  There is a buffet on each side of the room.  Each one has 6 lines of food so it does not take long at all to get through the line.  The food was definitely better than the average buffet line.

Here is my plate.  There was a menu of the buffet on my table so I knew what would be on the buffet. Also on the table was a desert and drink menu. You order your desert before the show starts and it is delivered at intermission.  As soon as the lights came up at intermission there was a swarm of servers all over the place serving deserts.  I was really impressed with not only the food but also the service.
 
The Show:  It was extremely well done and the actor/singer/musician who played Buddy Holly was just outstanding. He is active in Canadian theater and this is his first show in the states.  The show followed them getting their first break through his death.  Most of the second act was recreating his last concert with The Big Bopper and Richie Valens. The guy who played The Big Bopper was spot on.  It may have helped that he has played him many times on the east coast. The finale pretty well brought the house down with old fashioned rock n' roll. Fun evening!

No comments: