Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Odds and Ends for a Wednesday

Jess & Jim's Steakhouse: This popular steakhouse has been a landmark in Martin City (south of KC) since 1938. The restaurant was started by 2 brothers and the 4th generation is now being groomed to manage the business by working there. Jess & Jim's has been ranked numerous times by national publications as one of the best steakhouses in the United States. In 1972 an article about the restaurant appeared in Playboy Magazine. The original restaurant was leveled in 1957 by a tornado although the owner's parakeet survived unharmed. The decor is the restaurant hasn't changed much in decades and is what you would find in a classic rustic Texas steakhouse.

 

For some reason, and I don't know why, I don't remember ever eating there when I lived in this area back in the late 60's and early 70's.  I have been there 3 times on this trip - twice for lunch and once for dinner. The lunch draw for me is there homemade French Fries. However, last Saturday night I went for dinner so I could try out the steaks that they are so famous for. Above is my KC Strip steak, baked potato and the pickled beets they serve as an appetizer. I like my steaks med-well to well done and always know it may not be as tender due to how I like it cooked. However, this steak was perfect and yet juicy and tender.  The thing that really amazed me about the steak was that it has been seared over a very hot fire and there was almost a crust on it yet the inside was perfectly done and tender.
 
 
Morris: A Victim of Discrimination
Last week I spent some time doing serious research on apartments that had made it to the top of my list. I chose 3 out of about 20 that I originally considered and looked at about half of them. My first choice is where I'm staying now.  My 2nd choice is now off the list due to their discrimination against sweet, shy, little Morris.  I downloaded their application and was reading through it before I went to talk to them. In the application, they say small dogs and cats are O.K. but only "declawed cats". I was told to send them an email asking for a variance which I did and they said "sorry - only declawed cats" even thought I offered to submit a letter of "good behavior" from the place I am currently in and from the apt in Little rock. No luck... Apparently little dogs pooping and peeing on the carpet are o.k. Wonder if the Supreme Count would hear a case of discrimination against a cat......
 
Twinkies:  I didn't get the Twinkies yesterday but did get some of their little chocolate Donetts which I love!  Larry LOVED their Ho Ho's and said Miss Debbie's just were not the same.
 
Car Wash:  Yesterday I went to the car wash which is quite a different experience here.  They don't have all the people to dry the car, etc.  I didn't get it until I realized they aren't needed to dry the car since the water doesn't cause water spots.  The dryer at the end of the wash is adequate. I was also really surprised at how little dust there was on the inside of the car. Quite a change from the desert.
 
 

No comments: