I overslept this morning since my furry alarm clock overslept. He is usually up by 5:45 but this morning it was 6:10 before either one of us stirred. Hence we didn't get on the road until about 45 minutes later than I planned since it took me longer to gather the final stuff up that I planned plus getting a late start. Oh well.....
His Majesty yelled at full volume for the first 1/2 hour and then there was a few silent minutes. After an hour the was pretty quite except for some periodic "meows" - some quiet and some at full volume but it was tolerable. He was really quiet this afternoon.
My excitement for the day was the storm I ran into about 40 miles before I got to Wichita. I could see the dark cloud in the distance and I admit it didn't look quite as dark as it does in this picture but it was pretty dark. The rain started light and then was coming down moderately - still OK driving. The car in front of me pulled out to the left to pass a big tanker truck. I pulled out behind the car as did the car behind me. I was about 1/2 way to passing him when it was like I drove into a waterfall. I don't think I have ever driven in such heavy rain. I knew there was a car in front of me, the median wall on the left, a car behind me and the truck beside me but I could NOT see it due to the amount of rain plus the water the truck was throwing up on my windshield. I tried slowing down but the water from the truck got worse . Every few seconds I could see the yellow line on my left. I knew the road was straight since I looked ahead when I pulled out. All I could do was speed up a bit, keeping an eye on any yellow line I could see and get to the front of the truck where the tires wouldn't throw so much water up. I was basically driving blind. And...I could also feel my car hydroplane a couple of times. Once I got around him, it was just really heavy rain for a few miles and then started to lighten up. Yep...I was scared and my blood pressure was probably up a few points! Thank goodness that was one of those times when Morris was not making a sound. Otherwise, the drive today was uneventful. I only stopped a couple of times for gas and pit stop so we made really good time.
I wasn't sure what to expect of a Best Western hotel in Shamrock, TX but it is actually very nice. It has 3 floors with interior corridors.. With a cat, it is easier to be on the ground floor where I can park right in front of the room and carry stuff in - having to use an elevator makes it a little more complicated. I get everything in the room and then go back to the car for Morris. As I was carrying him through the lobby a guy who was checking in said "that is one big cat". His Majesty does not like elevators but was fine when we got inside the room. He has checked every square inch out and is now up on the window sill looking down at whatever is out there.
One day down and 1 1/2 more to go.... 8-)
Monday, July 22, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment