Friday, July 12, 2013

Odds and Ends...Again

I'm not going to be doing much "tourist" stuff between now and the 22nd when we head home.  For one thing, everything on my list is checked off except one thing and secondly, I need to start getting ready to head home. It is amazing how much you can spread out in 2 months plus what has been accumulated.  The only thing not checked off my tourist list is to visit the KC Power & Light district downtown which is an area that has been rejuvenated into an entertainment district with theaters, restaurants, entertainment, etc. That might have to wait for another time.

Measuring Ambient Temperature: I was watching a local TV station last week and the weather man happened to mention how the official temperature was measured at the airport. He said it was on the grass, in the shade and about 5 feet off the ground. Well, I have never heard about that before!  So I looked it up and sure enough, they have a roof with sides open that the thermometer sits under. It's  on grass so there isn't heat reflection.  It's in the shade so cloudy days don't affect it. The next time I'm in Tucson and they say the temperature is 110 degrees, it is going to be even worse since now I will know that is in the shade!  I probably don't want to know what the temperature is when I walk across a parking lot in the sun....

Old TV Shows: A few days ago I discovered a channel that is old TV shows. I'm talking about Magnum PI, Lone Ranger, Marcus Welby, MD, etc.  Since then I have gotten hooked on the Marcus Welby shows.  TV was so simple back then and just pure entertainment. He was on in the early-mid 70s and back then, I thought Robert Young was old but now I look at him and he doesn't seem nearly so old... The other night there was an operating room scene and they didn't show any blood and guts - now days that is what we would be seeing in an operating room scene.  Kansas City seems to have a lot of channels that broadcast the older TV shows and movies. The nurses all wore white uniforms with the "nurses" hats.

Mid-West Genealogy Library:  I have heard about this place for years and yesterday I stopped there on my way back from Ft Osage. As in the Genealogy Library in Little Rock, they have shelves full of books on specific state counties. I did a quick search of a few books and found something that is making me rethink my paternal grandmother's roots. Granny lived with us  most of my life - I don't remember when she wasn't living with us.  She always talked about coming from Kentucky in a covered wagon when she was 9 years old and about her 2 brothers. I have confirmed that these 2 brothers were half-brothers and her father had children by each of 3 wives. However, she never mentioned her parents or at least I don't remember hearing about them. Yesterday I discovered a record of her marriage in a book of Barry County Missouri  Marriages 1881 - 1886.

 
I have a copy of the actual license but it is a copy of a copy many times over so some of it is not readable.  Transcriptions like this are from the original document. I thought the James A. Johnson who gave consent was her brother since she had a brother by that name.  According to this, it was her father. That means that her parents also migrated from Kentucky and I never hear her say anything about her parents. Of course, she was already in her late 80s when I was a kid and died when she was 94. So what happened to her parents?  Another mystery to be solved....



No comments: