Monday, July 08, 2013
Olathe Prairie Center
I found this in one of my tourist books and since I haven't visited Olathe, KS on my trip decided to go check it out this morning. Knowing it was going to be hot and humid today, I left the apt before 7:30 this morning after dragging Morris out of bed. He was not a happy camper... It was about a 30 minute drive out there through traffic. The Prairie Center is a 300-acre tall-grass preserve and education site under the umbrella of the Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks. Many of the native prairies, which once blanketed North America, have disappeared. At the Prairie Center the goal is to preserve local flora and fauna including tall-grass. According to the web site, in mid-summer, native grasses taller than your living room ceiling can be seen. The tallest I saw was about 4-5 feet but then I stuck to a gravel trail and didn't go off on some of the grass trails since I didn't want to tempt the mosquito, chigger and tick gods who haven't found me back here yet... It was about 3/4 mile hike back to the lake and was pretty warm by the time I got back to the car. At least it was overcast so that helped some. Below are some of the pictures I took this morning. I have no idea what most of the wild flowers are but they were pretty...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment