Saturday, August 06, 2011

Farmer's Market Day & Food Memories



As stated in earlier blogs, the Little Rock Saturday Farmer's Market is the big market and the Tuesday Market is a junior. People from all over town come to the Saturday market. This is one booth at today's market and I counted about 20 of them. There are 2 buildings like this one completely full of fresh food. On today's shopping list was a bundle of fresh basil, yellow squash, zucchini, (both about 4" long) corn-on-the-cob and peaches. I still have tomatoes left from Tuesday so didn't need those today. Larry had never eaten yellow tomatoes before and has become a convert to them. There were 2 new foods today that have just come into season. When I saw them, I was flooded with childhood memories. One was Black Diamond Watermelons which is a very large, up to 12-15" diameter melon, has seeds and the outside is a dark solid green. This is the watermelon I grew up eating and I can still remember my dad cutting a cold melon and giving me a piece of the melon's heart. The other food today was Elberta Freestone Peaches. My mother did a lot of canning in the summer. Green beans and peaches were the family favorites. When I was a kid, I spent many, many afternoons sitting in a swing on the front porch peeling and slicing Elberta Freestone peaches so she could can them. Let me tell you....there are a lot of peaches in a bushel basket of peaches and we did several bushels every summer. However, doing peaches wasn't as bad as breaking green beans which I hated doing. And then after we get our food, we head for the bakers and get coffee/diet coke and their big croissants before walking back to the apartment. Great way to start a day!

No comments: