Saturday, August 20, 2011

Important Foods of the South from the Farmers Maket

I don't think I have been in a single restaurant back here that doesn't have okra on the menu. It is stewed, fried and who know how else they can figure out how to fix it. To us, it doesn't have much taste. I won't touch it and no way would I ever cut it due to the slimy substance that in the peeling.

Another southern staple is collard greens. I can remember my mother going out in the garden and picking this stuff which just looked like weeds to me. It isn't just one green but includes a mixture of turnip greens, mustard greens, etc. It is cooked down in a pan with a generous seasoning of ham hocks, fatback or other fatty meat, diced onions, vinegar, salt and pepper. You always eat green with cornbread. It was never one of my favorite foods when growing up.


These are long beans - sometimes call Chinese Long Beans. They are cooked and eaten like green beans. However, the bean pods are 12 - 24" long! I had never seen these before but several stands at the Farmer's Market have them.

No comments: