Sunday, December 11, 2011
Another Sunday in the hospital
I've spent 3 of the last 4 Sundays in the hospital..... Jennifer and I were plesantly suprised this morning when we got to the hospital and Larry was awake and talking. They finally got the pain under control during the night and it make such a hugh difference. He slept most of the day today but would wake up for a few minutes and usually we could talk to him. Even when he was asleep, he would reach for my hand and hold on to it very tightly. They took a chest X-ray today to compare it to 3 weeks ago but don't know the results yet. However, we did get the results back from the CT scan that was done yesterday. I don't know all the details yet but the internal medicine doctor did tell me that it shows there is an area of the brain that is not getting blood which means it a stroke. The Neuro doc was going to come in to talk to me but got tied up with an emergency so I won't get more information until tomorrow. I don't know what caused it, what the effects are/will be or how it can be treated. The scan showed that some of the tumors are a little smaller so the radiation seems to have helped on those. This all just seems like such a nightmare and is still hard to believe. However, after yesterday, I think reality is starting to hit me and I can see the roller coaster raid that is ahead of me. I just never know when I walk in his door in the morning what I will see. He could be bad like yesterday or good like today. Just before we left last night, the nurse talked to me and showed me a purple sticker on his door by his name and a purple form in his chart that the doctor had signed. He is listed as DNR (do not resusciate) or some hospitals call it AND (allow natural death). We signed the living wills and they were put into the hospitals computers back when we did the kidney trasnsplant so I did not have to make the decision - Larry had already made it. After the nurse talked to me, they put a purple wrist band on him. It's just a precaution at this point but I'm glad it's done. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day since besides the regular docs, we have pain management coming by, the neuro team, pallative care, and Dr Whittman, our nephrology doc, has hosptal rounds this week for his office. One day at a time....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment